ClassTag understands the need of School Leaders to add students to the School Directory without having to add them to their individual classes. This is now possible on ClassTag.
There are two options to add students to the School Directory page.
Adding students one-by one
1. On the School page, click “Directory”, click the icon next to the School Directory and click “Add Students”.
2. Type the student’s First Name and Last Name then click “Add”.
3. The Student Profile will appear. To add the parent’s contact info, click the icon next to “Guardians”.
4. Enter the parent’s email address and then click “Send Invitation”.
5. If you’d like to invite the parent’s mobile number, click “Add in another way" then click “Add via Phone”.
6. Enter the parent’s mobile number and then click “Send Invitation”.
Adding students using Copy from a spreadsheet
1. Prepare a spreadsheet of your class directory that you will upload on ClassTag. The first column should have the students’ first name, the second column should have the student's last name, and the third should have the parent's email address or mobile number.
- This invitation method only accepts one email or phone number per user. It's important to only provide one method (either email address or mobile number). We recommend email address, but mobile phone number is also acceptable if there's no email address.
- If you need to add a second communication method to a parent's profile, please do the steps below first and then follow the instructions on this separate article (steps 2-6).
- If you need to add a second guardian for a specific student, please add the contact info on the fourth column. You can add up to max of 6 guardians per student.
- Please note that adding another email address or mobile number on the fourth and succeeding columns will create another user with a parent role and will not associate it to the parent contact info on the third column
2. On the School page, click “Directory”, click the icon next to the School Directory and click “Add Students”.
3. Click "Copy from a Spreadsheet".
4. A page that looks like a spreadsheet will show up.
5. Copy the details from your spreadsheet and paste it into this page. Choose the parent’s language by clicking on the drop-down menu below their credentials then click “Import”.
NOTE: By default, the language is set to “English”. If you need the system to send the notification using a different language, (e.g., Spanish), click the drop-down menu next to the parent's contact info and choose the correct language.
6. A message similar to below will show up. This means that the details are being imported to the system.
7. Once it's done, the students’ names and parents’ credentials will now show up on the School Directory page. It will also send a notification to the parent using the language you set on the previous page.
What happens when the student has already been added to the School Directory?
When uploading details from a spreadsheet, the system will automatically check if there are duplicate students who have already been added in other classrooms that are connected to the school. The system will check for the student’s first and last name and provide three options.
For example, let’s reupload the same spreadsheet with different parent credentials.
Copy and paste the details on the next page and click “Import”.
After clicking on "Import", this will show up:
Two options that can be done here:
- Create Another Student → the new student will be created on the school directory page with the guardians you’ve listed in the spreadsheet.
- Skip this Student → no student will be added in the class.
Let's use "Create Another Student" for Mary Foster and Joseph Long and "Skip this student" for Ralph Castillo and Bianca Gray, then click "Apply".
After clicking the "Apply" button, it will say "Processed x students from y student records". For this example, it will say "Processed 0 student from 4 student records" since we're uploading 4 students.
Here's what it will show after the upload.
- For Mary Foster and Joseph Long, we used the "Create Another Student" where it created another student and used the details from the spreadsheet and not the students’ names and parents details’ that were already listed on the School Directory.
- For Ralph Castillo and Bianca Gray, these were not imported because we used the "Skip this Student" option.